Sunday, April 1, 2012

She stood in the storm...


I finished a birthday present for my sister.  We had both seen a quote on Pinterest ...
"she stood in the storm and when the wind did not blow her away she adjusted her sails"




I knew she liked the quote so I had the idea of making her 2 cushions, one smaller with an embroidery on it, and a bigger one with the quote stencilled onto one side.

I had seen a cushion on Pinterest with a stencilled Dr Seuss quote, but forgot to repin or bookmark it so unfortunately I cannot link to it here.   I used calico fabric and a Pebeo SetaSkrib pen in brown (from Spotlight) and it took 2 pens to finish off the front of the cushion. The stencil was a plastic one I already had, I think I got it from a newsagents years ago.

Thanks to Pip from Meet Me At Mikes, I can now link to the cushion I saw on Pinterest:
Amanda from Wit & Whistle explains with pics how to do it, and it looks fantastic. 




I repeated the quote so that the whole front of the cushion was full of text.  I have since looked up the quote from Elizabeth Edwards(I previously knew nothing about her until I did a little research on the quote), and it should have read..

"she stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way - and surely it has not - she adjusted her sails"

Not to worry, it's good either way.  I did a couple of drawings of a girl in a boat and after a bit of trial and error, I ended up with this one:



 


She did seem to really like them, and I loved making them.  Sitting on the floor of the loungeroom colouring in the letters for days, it was worth seeing the look of surprise on her face.

***I've now made this into an embroidery pattern and it is in my teeny tiny shop here


In A War...


I also finished the handkerchief embroidery and sent it off to Denmark, to go into an art project by Hanne Bang http://www.mrxstitch.com/2012/01/30/newsflash-in-a-war-someone-has-to-die/#comment-15737

The handkerchief was such fine fabric that it was difficult to embroider the letters and keep all the stitches even.  There was a fair bit of unpicking involved.  It was a serious project and made me think a lot while I was stitching.  It made me think of my father, who was in WWII.  So many questions left unanswered.



No comments: