Monday, November 7, 2011

What I have been working on


Oh my goodness, time has slipped away again, but this time it's because I was working on an embroidery for the Feeling Stitchy Covered in Stitches contest.  I embroidered a lot.  A lot of stitches.  Till late at night.  It was such good experience both in terms of embroidery and also self discovery!  I unpicked many stitches many times, deliberated on colours and made several trips to the shops for more cottons. I looked up different kinds of stitches and their history in books.  I read about Tintin and the author Herge.  He was only 24 when he wrote the first story.




I panicked half way through when I realised the calico was just going to pucker more and more.  I got some great tips from Mary Corbet of Needle'n Thread http://www.needlenthread.com/ for this problem.  I realised I could see a big project through and also realised I am a very slow embroiderer!  I also am not very adventurous and stuck to mainly three types of stitches:  satin, chain and back stitch.  The shark sub is all backstitch just going round and round and round till it met up in the middle.  So many stitches in that shark!! and a sore finger and wrist afterwards.



I needed lots of cups of tea, coffee and chocolate to finish and stayed up last night till 1.30 am having left too much to do with not enough time to do it (of course).  The whole embroidery is the same size as a Tintin book (which by the way is overdue at my library now!)  I chose Tintin because I love the books so much and I always have since I was much younger.  My sister bought me nearly the whole set about 11 years ago.  I love the illustrations and the colours and the stories.  Captain Haddock is my favourite character (blistering barnacles).



I used some watercolour in the background and also a bit of coloured pencil around the title.  There are so many more stitches I would like to add but I just ran out of time, and I would also like to add more blue watercolour so it is more like the book.  Maybe now it is entered I can play around with it a bit more.  I'm not sure if I will make it into anything yet.



The kids all love it and you can see they like to touch it and feel the stitches, and I love that too.







3 comments:

Amy Seager said...

wow this is amazing! well done you!

love from
amy
x

big B said...

Hi - I found your blog from your pictures in the Flickr embroidery group. Your embroidered TinTin book cover is fantastic! I love the colors, the stitching...it is really fun to see and read about your process. I think the back stitch worked really well as a filling stitch for the sub and I really love the chain stitch sea grass. Really inspiring work!

wenda said...

Thanks Amy, thanks big B. I really enjoyed doing this embroidery so I am glad you like it!