Sunday, September 18, 2011

A lovely book and another fish

I must be the laziest blogger ever.  I have tried but failed to even post something once every month.  I love looking at other people's blogs, especially the one's that are up to date.  Aaargh.  I have been away, is that a good excuse?  Probably not.  What about I have five grandchildren?  No?  I have been sewing and painting?  Hmmmmmm, maybe.


I recently borrowed a book from the library called The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Wild-Snail-Eating.  It was such a lovely book to read and very calming.  It's about the author and how she is bedridden with a mysterious illness.  A friend brings her a snail in a small pot plant.  Watching the snail is about all she can muster the strength for.  She comes to learn a lot about her little snail friend and the book has lots of lovely quotes in it.   One of my favourites is this:

Think not of the amount to be accomplished, the difficulties to be overcome, or the end to be attained, but set earnestly at the little task at your elbow, letting that be sufficient for the day. - Sir William Osler (1849-1919)

The little task at my elbow recently has been another fish embroidery, this time in orange.  I've finally finished it and put it on my flickr page.  I drew this one from a book I bought second hand years ago because I loved the pictures in it, Sea Fishes of Southern Australia, and it is based on a fish called a white-barred boxfish, also known as the Humpty-Dumpty!  I've painted this shaped fish a couple of times now.  I drew it on calico and lightly tinted it with watercolour, and then stitched it.


Humpty Dumpty




No comments: